Sunday, November 11, 2007

mold breaker

Remembering back on growing up, every Sunday was, well, predictable. Church, home to a tantalizing pot roast aroma wafting through the house, eat around the table as a family, nap, homework, church, home for a snack, bed. No tv during the day. No chores. Skirts to church. This was how it was for 20 years. It wasn't bad by any means. That's what was ingrained in my being and the mold that was made for me.

Then I got married.

Today I think I broke almost every Sunday mold. We didn't go to church (but went last night). I did laundry. We watched football. Ed went to the store. I wore pants to church. On some Sundays we eat downstairs. I've cleaned the basement and the kitchen. Ed's working on the car in the garage. I sanded and washed down the front door in prep for painting. He even mowed and de-leafed the lawn.

All this to say that it has been a good day. No rushing around. Taking our time. The house was filled with smells of hamburger (chicken to be exact) soup and skillet corn bread. It's been a restful day even with doing things. While I treasure the memories of growing up, I treasure the new memories being made with my family.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hamburger chicken? that sounds interesting... ;)

I think sometimes a Sabbath can definitely include work...different work than during the week maybe, and absolutely like you said, not rushing around to get it all done.

Greg said...

I have heard of ground turkey, but hamburger chicken is a new one. Sounds like a new show on adult swim.

Jessica said...

Your Sunday ritual was identical to mine growing up. To this day I think my parents still have a hard time if I tell them I went out to eat on Sunday(although they are starting to get better). There is something about that generation that says the aroma of a pot roast must greet you every Sunday afternoon upon returning from church. Here's to the mold breakers!

Jean said...

Actually ground chicken, but I didn't want to say chicken soup as it really wasn't the traditional chicken soup. I see the trouble I get myself in...

HAA!!

Very interesting Jessie. We NEVER went out to eat (as there were 5 of us kids), but now my parents go out all the time on Sundays! And they have cable tv! :) We should compare notes sometime...