Saturday, November 17, 2007

brain has popped

I think yesterday felt like one of the longest days of my life. It was a good long day though. Ed had the interview process from 9 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do during that time. All the interviewees went into the room and there was one girl and I left standing alone. We introduced ourselves to each other and sat down on one of the couches and started talking. Her husband was interviewing also. The next hours flew by with chatting and scouring the internet for places to live and before we knew it, our husbands were done and it was time for lunch. The guys had also met another guy whom they asked to go to lunch with us who is engaged. So us three couples, one from Michigan, one from South Dakota, and one from Miami moseyed on down next to the Puget Sound to Anthony's Fish Bar for lunch. Great conversation and awesome food.

The rest of the afternoon was filled with more head stuffing, some phrases that shook me to the core of my beliefs and scared the begeebes out of me, making me wonder "what in the heck is this school teaching?!?", more questions and meeting more people. (But now I'm no longer shocked or my beliefs curled in a fetal position as the phrases were explained and after chewing on them, realized they did make sense and weren't so scary after all).

Dinner found us at a Thai place. Ed and I have never had Thai food before and all I can say is that I am now hooked. It was amazing. We met another couple looking at the school from Tennessee, a single guy and a couple who are students at the school, from North Carolina, and another student who is from Nebraska.

It surprised me that I had not met one local person who went to school there. Though we were told there are some. I have also gotten my introduction phrase down. "I'm Jean from Michigan and yes I do know of Mars Hill Church in Grand Rapids and yes I've met Rob Bell and have friends that go there." I kid you not. Every. single. person. I have met (student and prospective student) has asked me if I know Rob Bell and Mars Hill Church.

It has been an amazing trip so far and the sun even came out yesterday which let us display Mount Olympus from the windows of the school.

I still have more questions to be answered and hopefully that'll happen today.

5 comments:

Hillary said...

Really?! You've met Rob Bell? And you know Mars Hill church? And wow, can I be your friend? ;)

Heehee, I guess every place is known for something! But really, the bigger GR celebs are you and Anne. I mean, come on! Clearly! :)

Mmmmmm, Thai food! I've been living on the west coast all my life and only discovered Thai food three or four years ago. That's most of my life - WASTED! heehee!

Have a great rest of your weekend! :)

heather said...

wow - lots going on. glad you're meeting some people and really digging into the school - sounds like a super productive trip.

Thai is my FAVORITE!! There are a few good places in GR - maybe we should have a thai night when you get back. :)

Jean said...

HA! You're a funny one Hills.

I'm up for a thai night. count me in! :)

Unknown said...

So I'm mostly curious now what "those phrases" were that had you thinking!! Discussion night needed?!

Jean said...

Discussion night definitely. :)