Tuesday, September 12, 2006

purpose

I picked up a book called The Whitney Chronicles the other day. It was not the greatest book. I didn't even finish it, but just skipped to the end to read what happened. Very slow. Not a recommended book, unless you're having trouble going to sleep...this'll bore you.

While reading it I came across this statement below. It stood out to me for some reason. It's not a new concept, but it made me pause.

"Ironic, isn't it, that of all the creatures on the face of the earth, only humans don't seem to realize who and what they are. Animals behave like animals, plants like plants and fish like fish. Only we try to behave as if we're God."

It made me stop and think "for what purpose am I here?" Animals are here to enjoy, to eat, to provide clothing. Plants are here to provide food, air, beauty. Why am I here? What is my purpose? Why was I made? To bring glory to God. Do I do this? In my words to my kids, my actions to my husband, my conversations with my friends? Am I bringing glory to God? No. Not nearly enough.

No comments: