Saturday, July 16, 2011

Transitioning: part three - a ministry goodbye

Leaving is starting to sink in a bit.

The last time we said a hard goodbye was three years ago. I remember the tears that flowed while standing in our driveway. Not wanting to let go. But in the back of my head I knew we'd be back.

Not this time. More than likely, we won't be moving back to the Seattle. And that's what makes it hard. I'm also leaving a ministry that I have poured myself into over the past two and a half years. A road I've never traveled.

I'm now realizing how much I immersed myself into the volunteers and families at my job. And now it's coming to a close. The goodbyes have already started. There will be a many more this Sunday as it's my last Sunday on the job. I've already started hearing, "my kids are so sad you're leaving" to "I'm really going to miss you" to the "what are we going to do without you" comments. Comments that are not easy to hear and squeeze my heart.

It's hard to imagine not being here. Not going into church bright and early on Sunday mornings. Hearing "hi Jean!" by the kids. Getting hugs from the little ones. Chatting with the volunteers.

This is going to be harder than I thought.

2 comments:

Hillary said...

I understand that feeling a little bit, Jean. I felt the same when I was leaving Vancouver and saying goodbyes to friends and family before I headed to Africa. Leaving Korr, the goodbyes were much harder, because I didn't know if I would ever see some of these people again. Praying for you and your fam as you transition!

borninseattle@blogspot.com said...

We all love you so much and you will be truly missed...daily! And your wonderful family! I am sure Luca will be talking about Alina forever!