Friday, July 22, 2011

Transitioning: part four - tears

Have you ever had a job that you love, but more importantly, you love the people that you work with? And then you leave?

That was yesterday.

And it was hard.

Much harder than I thought it was going to be.

The day started like any other. Come in, fire up the computer, answer emails, chat a bit, and start editing.

And then lunch time came.

I heard everyone outside our office. I knew there was going to be a good-bye lunch. And I vowed I was not going to cry.

When I was told to come, I opened the door and there was a tunnel of all my co-workers cheering me.

I ran through the tunnel of cheers with a heart full of love for those I work with.

And sadness.

Throughout lunch people shared memories and amazingly sweet thoughts of me. It was very humbling. And very tearful by many.

The dam broke when my dear friend and children's ministry co-worker, Mary, started to share. Tears, sadness, thankfulness, grief and joy.

And it continued when my other dear friend Katie, and children's ministry co-worker, shared. The three of us have been through a whole lot the past years.

I couldn't have asked for better people to work with. From office staff to pastoral staff to custodial staff to ministry staff. I am going to miss them all terribly.

Throughout the day there were hard good-byes and many hugs.

The end of the day drew near. Desk was cleaned out. Out of office was on. Everything was wrapped up.

One last trip up to the 3rd floor office to turn in my keys and fob.

And shed more tears.

And stock up on more hugs.

And chat one more time with friends.

And more hugs.

And that was it.

Mary and I walked out together. She didn't want me to walk out alone. And I didn't want her to walk out alone.

As I drove away, I turned to look one more time at my work place of the past 2 1/2 years. A place where I met amazing people who were a part of molding me even more into who I have become today. People who have encouraged me. Shared their lives with me. Chatted with me. Loved me. They have settled in my heart and will stay there always.

The tears flowed all the way home.

I walked into our house, straight into my husband's awaiting arms and let the sobs come.

2 comments:

anne said...

I hate goodbyes. Whether it's for a week or a year or forever. They are never easy and I am no good at them.

Glad you were able to have good cries though. It always helps to just seriously let it out!

Amelia said...

Oh, this brings back so many memories of saying goodbye in Florida. Praying for you as you make this transition!