Friday, November 10, 2006

of mice and woodpeckers

When we were looking for a house to buy back before our daughter was born, we really weren't looking for a fixer-upper. Funny how what .

A new septic system due to the 60 year old one, a new backyard due to the new septic system, a new bathroom due to a rotted floor and leaking toilet seal, new insulation in the ceiling, service call for the water heater going out due to a red squirrel going down the chimney and stopping the air flow to the water heater (it met its demise as it got stuck), a new water softner system as the old one didn't work and turned all our clothes yellow. A new dishwasher because the other one rusted and broke due to the water.

There is still a lot we need to do to the house. Some things are taking a higher priority as the days go by. Take the siding for instance. We had in the long range forcast to put new siding on, oh, in maybe 10 years. Yesterday found me outside trying to figure out what the thunking noise was I heard inside. I thought it was a mouse in the walls chewing and scrambling around on some wood (the mice in the basement have delighted in several meals off of the mouse traps due to me just realizing that I was setting them wrong!). Then I listened more carefully and noticed that the noise was too consitant to be a mouse. So I opened up Sam's window and he and I came to the conclusion that it was something outside. So out I went and low and behold, a woodpecker was on the side of our house working away at a hole in our siding. It's amazing how such a small little bird can cause so much damage. A nice quarter size hole was drilled out from this woodpecker. I must say though, that it did its job very well. God made woodpeckers with quite strong beaks.

Because of this woodpecker, it was also discovered that our siding boards are starting to rot. So siding the house has moved up in priority on the house list.

I struggle with this house. With everything that has gone wrong with it, that continues to go wrong with it. I try to keep a positive attitude. I try to keep trusting that He will provide exactly what we need. But it's hard. I really am thankful to be in a place that is warm, that is in a good school district, that has a yard where our kids can play, where wildlife (other than mice) can be seen daily, for the beauty of the huge trees changing colors, that is a safe haven for our family. I don't want to become old and bitter because of the way life has gone, but grasp each moment, situation, and challenge that falls before us as an adventure and learning experience and be thankful despite the house falling apart.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay positive Jean. Sometimes God throws us wrenches in the thing we call life. We just have to keep on pushing through.

I’ve had similar experiences with mine and my husband’s house. It’s our first house, as we have been married for 2 ½ years. The furnace went out last year and this year our roof began leaking. It’s like a never ending battle when you are a home owner isn’t it.

heather said...

i admire your positive attitude - it is encouraging to me today. chin up! and you're right - God WILL provide. :)

Jean said...

thanks Lane :) You're right that it's a never ending battle with owning a home.

My positive attitude isn't always there Heather, especially when I want to just kick the house!! I'll keep my chin up. :)

anne said...

I wouldn't recommend kicking your house. It would probably hurt your foot...

I'm just saying. :)

the pearson ANTiCS said...

jean...this isn't just about this post...i LOVE your blog! how cool :D :D i'll be back often!

Jean said...

this is true. I probably won't as it'd bring more soreness than relief..

thanks Stephanie :) And I'll be over on yours too. ;)

Carbon said...

We once had a woodpecker pecking away at our house. It was so annoying to hear it everyday. The thing is he wasn't too bright because he was pecking away for days and days, never ending on the outside of my house which is stucco. Never made a dent and he'd never get through either but still tried.

Must have knocked his brain out of place before. I'm sure he's pecking away somewhere now on a metal shed. oh my.

Jean said...

Maybe it lost it's common sense pecking on someone's brick house before coming to yours. :) That would get annoying listening to it every day! Glad it got tired and went some where else. :)

Jean said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.