Friday, October 22, 2010

Dolly

I knew the day would come, but I was hoping it wouldn't come so soon.




Dolly has been officially been declared an "end of the bed" toy.







Dolly has been a mainstay at the head of the bed since day one. She was a gift from her Uncle John and Aunt Crystal on the day our baby girl was born.





She has had flying privileges on the airplane flying between Michigan and Washington.










She has been strapped to the backpack on camping trips in Michigan and Washington. She's always packed on short overnight trips. She has always been the side kick.








Not only has Dolly been put aside, the Polly's are heading to the attic as well as their doll house. "I think I'm too old for these now" was the comment.

It's seriously like Toy Story, but in real life and I know the 3rd edition will be here in the blink of an eye.

It's hard watching your baby girl grow up. I don't want her to. I always want to feel her little hand in mind while out and about. To hear her "I love you's" and feel her little arms around my waist no matter where we're at. To see her skip along with nary a care in the world. But I want her to experience so much in life. But I don't want her to have to deal with the harshness and hurtfulness in the world. I want to keep her tender heart safe and protected from all that's out there.

So if you have a baby girl of your own, enjoy and cherish her. She's a rare gem that is so worth investing in. There will come a Toy Story day for you too. Mine consisted of sadness and celebration mixed into one. And a splash of thankfulness too that I get to be the one to live life with and love a Beautiful Woman. Also known as Alina Carlen.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

She's the real Dolly.

Mark Johnson said...

Jean, your blog was just beautiful! I can so relate to the feeling of watching your little girl (and boy) grow up. What used to be a 2 minute leg hug when I came home from work slowly turned into a 10 second hug and now is usually a head nod as they glance up from their home work. Sad in ways, but in others it is a joy to watch them grow and mature. Hope you're doing well and I look forward to seeing you sometime soon. Give my love to Ed and the kids.
Mark J.