Saturday, January 24, 2009

What's Age Got To Do With It?

Number three review for Thomas Nelson Publishers. What's Age Got To Do With It? by Robin McGraw. Here's a snip-it from the inside flap:

* “I’m 42-years-old, but feel like I’m 62.”
* “I have lost my glow.”
* “I miss the woman I used to be.”
* “I’m so afraid of getting older.”
* “I want to feel healthy and alive again”

If you’ve had these or similar thoughts, you’re not alone. Robin McGraw, wife of television talk show host Dr. Phil McGraw, receives thousands of emails from women asking her what she does to look and feel so vibrant, energetic and healthy at the age of 55. It all started back in Robin’s twenties and thirties when pivotal moments
in her life made her realize that if she did not put her health and well-being, first, no one else would.


I hemmed and hawed about reading this book. 1st I'm not 55 or anywhere near it, and 2nd, what could I possibly learn from reading this book? I finally decided to request it. I received it in the mail Thursday and finished it today. So easy to read, and so full of great pointers and practical ideas. The main theme is to take care of your body now, so when it's older you won't face so many problems (through menopause and perimenopause). Some things were a bit overwhelming with all she does to keep healthy (and I don't live in CA or am married to Dr. Phil to afford these things), but she gives great at-home, inexpensive tips to help different areas of life. Her main point as a woman: to take of yourself. It's so easy for mom's especially to let themselves go in the busyness of every day life and how unhealthy that is physically, emotionally and spiritually. And that it's NOT selfish to take time for one's self. You are only helping everyone else by being at your best.

A great, easy read that is personable. So informative in the area of what is going to happen to my body in the next 10-15 years. Great advice of how to take care of my body whether it be physically (appearance, make-up, working out, how to dress, etc.) which feeds into the emotional, and the spiritual to keep the connection to God open and know that He's always there with me.

I'd suggest this book in a heart beat. (And every time she referenced her husband, I never thought of him as Dr. Phil as she calls him Phillip...which helped a lot). :)

No comments: