Friday, June 09, 2006

found odor and lost lunch

Since Sunday, the basement has been musty and just stinks. Ed noticed it too. The dehumidifier was full. I finally emptied it Wednesday night. It just smelled like a wet dog. A really odorous, smelly wet dog. I cranked the dehumidifier. It was much better yesterday, I noticed. Last night when I went downstairs Ed said, "You know that odor? I found out what it's from." I was unsure whether I should ask him what it was. A diaper that was misplaced and had been sitting down there for weeks? Spilled milk that had gone rancid? I felt the words come out of my mouth before realizing it and heard myself say, "what was it?". Four words eminated from his mouth. "You caught your mouse". Mouse + mouse trap + peanut butter + four days = mouse in the basement that is rotting and odorizing the house.

Tonight he was my hero. He got up on the chair with a pair of plyers and pulled it out. It wasn't white after all. It was brown. Methinks there may be another one up there too. But anywho, it was dead. Dead dead. Sam SO wanted to see it. So up to the garage they went and Ed put it on the floor for Sam to inspect. Then I heard from Sam's little lips, "There's a worm in it!". Ed turned it over and sure enough, it was being eaten by maggots that were crawling in and out of it. Literally.

Hand over mouth. Coughing up the steps. Trying not to gag and lose what little I have in my stomach. I'm afraid to close my eyes tonight as I know I will be dreaming about some type of bug chasing me that is salivating at the mouth, while I'm dressed up like a brown mouse running towards the larger than life trap all the while yelling to myself from myself "DON"T GO THERE!! YOU WILL DIE!!!". Fun.

8 comments:

anne said...

Did you have bad dreams?

So glad you caught that thing!! I'll bet that was the grossest ever!

Jean said...

No, but I didn't sleep well either. It was after midnight before I finally fully fell asleep. My body was so tired by 10 and the kids were awake that I couldn't drag myself out of the house. How was your night?

It was gross!! And smelled SO SO bad.

Anonymous said...

Ewwwwww! That's even worse than when I found that dead rat in my storage room. It had been there for a week or so and BOY did it reek... but I certainly didn't go and clean it up. My landlords had exterminators on the job, so they came and took it away. (Kinda unnecessary, but hey, they were paying for it, so *I* wasn't about to go touch the thing!)

But I hear ya about the smell. That maggot part almost made ME gag just reading it. *shudder*

Jean said...

I just batted my eyes and looked so sweet to my "landlord" that he couldn't deny me :)

I went to throw something away in the trash bin in the garage this morning and I almost lost everything again as it reeked even more.

Sam had to ask how the maggots got into it and I told him "through a hole". ugh. I know this is all part of nature, but I'm glad I'm not a mouse. or a maggot for that matter.

Hillary said...

blech! Yep, I'm glad I'm not a mouse or a maggot either.... "Of mice and maggots?"

Sounds like you've got your landlord trained well ;)

Kristen said...

Sniff, Sniff :( You killed my mouse. I'm heart broken. Love you! :)

Carbon said...

ewww, yuck, gross. kudos to your hubby. hero for the day!

Jean said...

I must agree that my landlord is my hero. :)

Sorry Kristen. Maybe I should have sent him to you for proper burial... :) He would've come with his trap and everything...