Saturday, July 29, 2017

Review of The Legacy by Michael Phillips

Nutshell: Loni Ford has inherited an island along with all of it's buildings and inhabitants off the coast of Scotland through ancestors she has never met. Her world is turned upside down with trying to figure out what to do with this very remote place. Over time though, she falls in love with the harsh-weathered island, and it's dwellers, especially one, David Tulloch. In this third and final book of the series, Loni learns more about her past, how it ties to her present and what it means for her future.

What I enjoyed: This book was very different than the previous two. I enjoyed the story-line of Loni's great-grandmother and the history of Loni's ancestry. I also enjoyed the side story of Loni's best friend and her journey of a new change in life. I did like the different angle this book took and how the heritage of Loni came to be. Very well written, very descriptive and overall a great read!

What I struggled with: All the names of the Tulloch ancestors! So many over decades of time that it was hard to keep straight who was from which era of their family. But, the family tree at the back of the book was a tremendous help in referencing who came from who and had which kids.

Would I recommend this book? I would....but the reader is going to want to read the first two books in the series to really understand what is going on. If you try and read this as a stand-alone novel, you will be putting it down in discouragement as it won't make any sense.

Bethany House Publishing sent me this complimentary copy to review for them. Opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: