Friday, September 02, 2011

one month in

Yesterday marked one month of being back in our home state of Michigan.

I'll be honest and say that it hasn't been the easiest transition for me. Yes, the first eight months in Seattle were the hardest thing I had ever experienced, but this transition has been much harder than I thought too. There are days where I have been in tears. Days of funkiness. But there have been days of laughter intermingled in there too.

I believe the biggest thing is not having a steady rhythm of life.

Coming from working 40+ hours a week for the past 2 1/2 years to working 20+ hours a week and having more than two days off has tilted my world. But I wouldn't trade it. I thoroughly enjoy my job and am enjoying getting to know those I work with. But I do miss those I worked with in Seattle too. We went through a heck of a lot of stuff, stuck together and came out stronger friends each time. I've had several dreams reliving my last day of work in Seattle. Though the scenery is different each time, the people are the same, as are the sorrowful emotions. Those mornings I wake up completely spent.

My husband is no longer in school. This week would have marked the start of another school year. The start of a new semester schedule. That is no longer the case. The days for him consist of hanging with the kids on my working days or working his cute behind off in putting together his website for his counseling practice. He's so close. All the dreaming, hard work, challenges, transformations, tears, and sacrifice have brought him to this point. He's on the edge of turning the page to a new chapter. And I may be a bit bias, but he's a fantastic therapist. It's been an amazing journey so far, and I'm so excited to continue it beside him as his biggest cheerleader. He's also able to indulge in his passion. Mountain biking. Three to four times a week he's hitting the trail either by himself, with friends or with his Sherpa and coming back so very refreshed. This I love.

Our social calendar has been filled each week. For the past three years, finding time to socialize was minimal. Many weekends were spent as a family. Of course "weekend" for our family was only Saturdays as the kids were in school Fridays and I worked Sunday morning and evenings. So the time together was sacred. And there were no instant friends like there are here. Not like instant oatmeal mind you. Keeping up friendships from 2000 miles away is hard, and being able to enjoy those friendships in person has made the homecoming sweeter than ever.

And then there's the unpacking, new neighborhood, new friends, new school and new church.

But I know we'll get there. That rhythm. School, client sessions for Ed, football practices and games for Sam, work, house chores, and friends. I've been pretty hard on myself in forcing that rhythm, which you obviously can't do. So I've been learning to allow myself that little word: grace. And it sure hasn't been easy.

Even though our rhythm of life has been a bit off beat the past month, I know we'll get synched up soon.

No comments: