Tuesday, May 20, 2008

13 amazing years

May 20, 1995 I said "I do" to the man of my dreams. I was but a child (at age 20), but the one thing I knew was that my Savior placed this man in my life so I could experience an adventure like never before.

What an adventure it has been.

I still had 4 years of school to complete (it was the 6 year plan) and you sacrificed so much for me to be able to finish my degree.

We somehow made it through the first couple years of you being to work at 6 a.m. and me being in school full time and coming home from work at 11:30 p.m. every night.

You introduced me to backpacking (amidst mosquito's and hyperventilating) and I thank you for not listening to my pleading of leaving me at the camp site and making a boat come and get me.

From finishing school, to job changes, to moves, to babies, to life choices for our future, you have always been by my side. Never wavering in your love for me.

We have had several rough patches, but have come out stronger. We have learned about ourselves through each other. Our marriage has been stretched so tightly and yet we have not broken. Our Lord has carried us many a time and we have used His example to carry each other many a time.

I will not ever forget this past weekend of celebrating our marriage. From wanting to impress you on the hardest mountain biking trail I have ever done, to climbing the ski hill to the tippy top and celebrating communion together. From reading scripture to sitting humbly with the wind whipping around us, having my feet washed in a gesture that moved me profoundly. From kneeling before you, weeping with thankfulness for your friendship, sacrifice and example while washing your feet, to praying together.

Thank you for living this adventure with me, for loving me when I'm grumpy, crying and have no idea how to express myself. Thank you for your patience. For being you.

I look forward to the next weeks, months and years of where God will take us, use us and grow us.

I love you.

6 comments:

anne said...

Happy Anniv Day! :) I hope you have a fantastic night tonight and I'm so glad you had a great day together on Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Cheeky said...

I remembered your anniversary was happening somewhere in this month while we were picking Lily of the Valleys the other day--didn't you have them in your bouquet?

Jean said...

We did have a great night out! Delicious food and it was fun having the kids celebrate with us too. :)

Thanks J!

You're amazing Cheeky! I did have them in my bouquet! Alina and my mom picked some over the weekend and brought them too me. Brought back lots of memories. :) I love their sweet fragrance and delicate blooms.

Amy said...

Congratulations, you two! I was actually just looking through the pictures from your wedding the other day. Hard to believe it's been 13 years for both of us this year! What an amazing year that was! I'm glad you're still so much in love.

Jean said...

And 6 months later you got married! So young...so long ago...so starry-eyed in love.. :) It has been quite the amazing ride though and I wouldn't trade it for anything.