Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Let it Snow!

Today I signed up for the Let it Snow reading club for adults at the library. I look forward to this at winter time as it gets me out of my "normal" reading patterns and into books I usually wouldn't read. It is set up like a bingo game. There are drawings for completing two bingo's and the entire sheet but I'm excited to read some different types of genres. I never know what to read except what I'm used to, so with lists of suggestions given for each genre, I have somewhere to start.

As you can see on the sheet, there are different types of books you have to read to fill a square. Animal stories, chick lit/men in action, set in the west or a western, mystery or thriller, etc. There are also 4 "your choice" boxes. So it is quite an array of books that you will have read by the time the sheet is all filled up.

I have my first 4 books.

One Book One County: Peace Like A River by Leif Enger
Inspirational or Romance: When Heaven Weeps by Ted Dekker
Chick Lit or Men in Action: Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes
Michigan Author: Wanting Only To Be Heard by Jack Driscoll

12 comments:

anne said...

How long do you have to complete the whole card? I may have to stop and pick one up!!

Jean said...

March 31st is the final drawing, so before the 31st. ;)
The drawnings for making the one bingo start on Jan 8th.

heather said...

this sounds like fun! it's nice to be stretched out of our comfort reading zones.

Jean said...

Though I started the chic lit book and in 7 chapters, she has flown to Ireland. It's reeeeeeeeeaaaaaalllly slow. Think I may find another one. I will not lose hope!!

anne said...

I can totally read that many before March. Pshaw...I could do that before Jan 8th! ;)

And no one needs slow books...phooey

Jean said...

It really isn't that hard. I think last year that had at least one other row as it doesn't seem like as many books to read this year.

I already have another one on hold. While reading it my head was saying, "blah blah blah" which is not a good sign...

Carbon said...

My sister works at a library and she's in charge of all sorts of fun stuff to get people reading. I think it's great!

Good luck :)

Jean said...

It's such a great idea! I really enjoy going to the library. It's like going to the candy store. So many options and choices!!

heather said...

have you read "Devil Wears Prada"? it's a great chic-lit read...

i would like to point out that the author is obviously a bad one - what's boring about IRELAND! ;)

Jean said...

Exactly my thoughts Heather. Hence the main reason I picked it up. I'm sure others may like the book, but it just didn't meet my fancy.

Great suggestion on Devil Wears Prada. I wanted to see the movie...

Anonymous said...

I think there were 25 squares last year, they must have gotten complaints that there were too many for people to actually read in the time allowed. Last year some of the other squares were true crime/horror square, which was the worst one for me, sci-fi, Western, romance, humor, biography, and children's book, which was easy, and a free square!

I'm reading "Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette wore to the revolution"--absolutely fascinating read, but it's hefty and long and there is a lot of French in it.

Last year I read so many different genres and was so excited to enjoy a lot of them that I thought I'd never enjoy. One of my favorites was "The Virginian" by Owen Westin.

Happy reading Jean, and I hope your name gets drawn so you and Ed can enjoy a dinner out.

Jean said...

That's what I thought (about there being more squares). I never made it to the horror/crime or sci-fi. Shouldn't have left those to last. :)

Even if we don't get a coupon, it's been good so far to get out of my comfort zone (and fluff stuff) and enjoy/experience what others write :)